Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

Skip to Main Content
    Harding University
  Oct 02, 2022
2022-2023 Academic Catalog 
Catalog Navigation
2022-2023 Academic Catalog

Music Education - Instrumental Major (MEIN), BME [Teacher licensure]

Return to Programs of Study Return to: Programs of Study


Liberal Arts: 38 Hours

All majors at Harding are required to complete the 47-hour Liberal Arts  program. The following Liberal Arts requirements are met within the content of the major:

  • 3 hours of Aesthetics and the Creative Spirit are satisfied in the major.
  • EDFD 2030  and MUS 3240  satisfy 6 hours of Self and Society.

Additional Requirement:

  • MATH 1200  or higher is required to satisfy 3 hours of Inquiry, Investigation, and Reasoning in accordance with the Liberal Arts policy.

Major: 53 Hours


  • 1Majors must take piano every semester for credit until they pass the Piano Proficiency Examination.
  • Music major status requires a passing score of 80 percent or higher on the Theory Entrance Exam or MUS 1700  with a grade of B or higher; and satisfactory performance on the Theory, Keyboard, and Principle Applied Performance Evaluations.
  • Leveling for MUS 1710 , if needed, increases total hours by 3.
  • Music majors must participate in MUS 1400-1409  every semester.
  • Two semesters in a choral ensemble or in VOI 1010-1019  or VOI 1110  are required.
  • Wind and percussion players must participate in band every semester; string players must participate in orchestra every semester.


Students are required to take applied study for seven semesters and until at least two semesters of 3020 have been successfully completed.


Students seeking teaching licensure must follow eligibility criteria for admission and retention listed in the Cannon-Clary College of Education section of the undergraduate catalog.

The Arkansas Department of Education issues licensure in Instrumental Music Education and Vocal Music Education. However, the same PRAXIS test is used for both areas. Consequently, an Instrumental Music Education major who passes the PRAXIS exam may also apply for vocal certification. For a MEIN major who wishes to also teach choral music, we recommend, as a minimum, these additional courses: 6 hours of voice/vocal pedagogy and two additional semesters in a choral ensemble.

Remaining Bible/Electives: 4 Hours

BMIN 3000  is required of all music majors, and satisfies the Bible requirement in the semester it is taken.

Bible is not required during the supervised teaching semester.

See Bible Class Enrollment policy here .

Total Hours: 129


In addition to earning a degree in Music Education, Instrumental, an endorsement in vocal /choral may be earned. Consult with the department chair for additional information.

Return to Programs of Study Return to: Programs of Study