The mission of the Department of English Language and Literature is to:
- Develop the rhetorical and critical thinking skills necessary for proficiency in reading and writing;
- Develop effective written expression;
- Build an appreciation for literature as both aesthetic expression and a reflection of the human culture, thought and ideals;
- Prepare students for careers in teaching, writing or other fields in which English language skills are valued; and
- Demonstrate the importance of reading literature within a spiritual context and of applying Christian values to written communication.
Interdepartmental Programs are offered in Film , Film Production , and Film Studies , in partnership with the Department of Communication.
The Department of English Language & Literature offers a Writer of Distinction Transcript Notation for undergraduate students.
Chair: Terry Engel, Ph.D.
Michael Claxton, Ph.D.
Kathy Dillion, Ph.D.
Director of the Center for Teaching and Learning
Terry Engel, Ph.D.
Larry Hunt, Ph.D.
Nick Boone, Ph.D.
Ann Brown, Ph.D.
Nathan Henton, Ph.D.
Russell Keck, Ph.D.
Amy Qualls, Ph.D.
Jon Singleton, Ph.D.
Paulette Bane, M.F.A.
Heath Carpenter, Ph.D.
Greg Laing, Ph.D.
ProgramsBachelor of ArtsNon-Degree