Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

Skip to Main Content
    Harding University
  Aug 17, 2022
2022-2023 Academic Catalog 
Catalog Navigation
2022-2023 Academic Catalog

Financial Information


Tuition and Fees

At time of registration, all tuition and all fees must be paid unless other arrangements have been made with the Business Office. The balance of the account may be paid in installments as arranged with the Business Office. A monthly per annum interest charge will be assessed on all past due balances. All accounts must be paid in full or arrangements made with the Business Office before students will be allowed to take final examinations. Students may not register for subsequent semesters until they pay their balances in full.

Failure to meet financial obligations to the University may result in the delinquent account being placed with a collection agency. Students are responsible for all attorney fees and other collection costs incurred by the University in collecting accounts. Term charges are not reduced for late enrollment. There will be a $25 service charge on all dishonored checks.

School of Theology
Tuition for Degrees
Master of Arts (MA) $720/hour
Master of Arts in Christian Ministry (MACM) $720/hour
Master of Divinity (MDiv) $720/hour
Doctor of Ministry (DMin) $445/hour
Tuition for Certificates
Spiritual Leadership $720/hour
Audit - regular $100/hour
Audit - church/spouse $50/course
Audit - full-time student (one course per semester) $50/course
Audit - MDiv graduate/DMin candidate or graduate $125/course
Application for Admission $40
Waiver of course by examination $25/course
Post office box rental $35/year
Student Activity $17
Examination taken out of schedule $10
Graduation $140
Binding of Guided Research, Thesis, or Dissertation (2 copies for the library) $40
Binding additional copies $20 each
Technology/academic enrichment $27/hour; maximum $324/semester
Transcripts $1 each for 10 or more

Tuition Refunds

All refunds are governed by the date withdrawal notices are received by the associate dean. Therefore, notification should be made immediately in writing to the associate dean if one is withdrawing from a course; emails are acceptable. Once a student is enrolled in a course, he/she is responsible for payment unless such notification is made. Absence from class sessions or merely informing the professor is NOT proper indication that one has dropped the course. A student changing from credit to audit is also governed by these policies.

Semester-length Courses: Students who withdraw from any class after a formal registration will be granted refunds according to the following schedule (special fees are nonrefundable). If withdrawal occurs:

Within first week 90 percent refund of tuition
Within second week 80 percent refund of tuition
Within third week 60 percent refund of tuition
Within fourth week 40 percent refund of tuition
Within fifth week 20 percent refund of tuition
After fifth week No refund of tuition

One-week Intensive Courses: Fall and Spring one-week intensive courses will be governed by the same refund policy as that of semester-length courses. The beginning date for refunds will be the first week of the semester.

Summer one-week intensives will have an abbreviated refund schedule based on the first meeting of the course on campus.

Four weeks before class meets 80 percent refund of tuition
Three weeks before class meets 60 percent refund of tuition
Two weeks before class meets 40 percent refund of tuition
One week before class meets 20 percent refund of tuition
First day of class No refund of tuition

Refunds for classes dropped in other innovative schedules will be considered on an individual basis.

Course Fees

Course fees are listed in the individual course description.

Financial Policies

Financial Responsibility: Harding’s financial well-being is dependent upon prompt payment of accounts. For this reason, Harding transcripts and diplomas will not be released if a student has failed to take care of any indebtedness to the University. Exception is made for government loans if they are not past due. Failure to meet financial obligations to the University may result in the delinquent account being placed with a collection agency. Students are responsible for all attorney fees and other collection costs incurred by the University in collecting accounts. Term charges are not reduced for late enrollment. There will be a $30 service charge on all dishonored paper checks and a $35 service charge on all dishonored electronic checks.

Payment of Accounts: Payments may be mailed in or made in person at the Business Office, located in the Administration Building. Payments may be in the form of cash, check, and money order in person or mail. MasterCard, Discover, and American Express are accepted on-line via a third-party vendor (CASHNET).  Credit card fees do apply.

Payment options:

  1. Pay the total balance by the due date on the first ebill statement of each term.
  2. Enroll in Harding University Payment Plan. Enrollment fee is $25 per term (fall and spring only). Deadline to enroll is September 1 for fall and February 1 for spring. Pay the balance due in four monthly payments. A late fee of $35 will be assessed if a due date is not met. No interest will accrue on the Harding Payment Plan.
  3. Accounts not paid in full or not enrolled in the payment plan will be subject to a per annum interest charge compounded monthly. Interest charges are not reduced for delays in receiving financial aid.

Students wishing to apply for financial aid must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Deadlines must be observed, and supporting documents may be required. Applications must be completed each year the student requests financial aid. Students must be sure to observe filing dates for the following school year. Students are notified periodically of documentation (if any) that is missing from their financial aid file.

If prior term charges have not been paid in full, enrollment for a future term will be delayed until payment is received or satisfactory payment arrangements have been approved.

Credit Balance Refunds: Students may request a refund through Pipeline. No refunds are issued during the first week following registration.

Financial Aid

Financial aid is available to most Harding graduate and professional students in the form of federal and private loans, veterans programs, and vocational rehabilitation programs.

These funds are administered wholly or in part by the Office of Financial Aid Services. Requests for information and assistance should be directed to Harding University, Box 12282, Searcy, AR 72149-5615; telephone 501-279-4081; or email

Requirements: Application for aid should be made as follows:

  1. Apply or be admitted to Harding School of Theology.
  2. Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at

To qualify for federal loans, graduate and professional students must be enrolled half-time. Half-time status for all HST degrees and programs requires 4 hours per semester.

Financial aid awards are based on current federal and institutional rules. Students have the right to accept or decline any aid offered.

Return of Title IV Funds (Federal Aid): Students who receive Title IV federal loans or other federal aid and withdraw, drop out or are dismissed are subject to a calculation to determine the amount of federal aid that was “earned” and “unearned” for the semester. The earned aid is calculated by comparing the number of days completed against the total days in the semester (including weekends). For example, if a student completed 29 days of a regular 116-day semester, the student will be determined to have earned 25% of total aid eligibility. Once the student has completed at least 60% of the semester, all aid is considered earned.

If total federal aid disbursements are less than the amount earned by the student, the student will be eligible for a post-withdrawal disbursement. Borrowers eligible for a post-withdrawal disbursement will be notified of their eligibility within 45 days after beginning the withdrawal process and must respond to the aid offer within 14 days.

If total federal aid disbursements are greater than the amount earned by the student, the student will owe a balance to the University and/or the federal government. Unearned funds must be returned within 30 days in the following order:

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan
Federal Direct Subsidized Loan
Graduate PLUS Loan

Students that stop attending classes without withdrawing, as well as students that receive all failing grades, will be considered unofficially withdrawn. The withdrawal date for all unofficial withdrawals will be determined by the academic dean according to the last academic activity completed.

Financial Aid Warning and Suspension: Students who receive Title IV financial aid must make satisfactory progress toward a degree by maintaining a minimum 3.0 grade point average or as stipulated by the academic program. In addition, students must successfully complete at least 2/3 of overall hours attempted cumulatively, and all students must complete all coursework within 150% of the published length of the program (even if the student changes majors, enrolls in remedial coursework, or did not receive federal aid for the entire period of enrollment). Students may repeat enrollment in any courses (either to pass a previously failed course or to simply earn a better grade) so long as all coursework is completed within the 150% maximum time-frame permitted. All hours of enrollment after the free drop/add period are considered attempted hours. Earned hours include all courses for which the student has not withdrawn.

Enrollment progress and grade point average monitoring occurs at the end of each fall, spring and summer terms.

Failure to maintain the required grade point average or successfully complete degree work as specified will result in financial aid warning status. Warning status is removed at the end of the semester the student has satisfied the grade point average and enrollment criteria. Failure to remove financial aid warning status at the end of said semester results in financial aid suspension.

Students on financial aid suspension are not eligible to receive Title IV financial aid. Financial aid suspension status caused by extenuating circumstances may be appealed in writing to the academic dean of the graduate school. Contact for additional information. Students approved by appeal will automatically be placed back in financial aid probation status for the first semester of renewed aid eligibility.

Ethics: Beyond academic requirements, in accepting financial aid the student incurs an ethical responsibility to observe the University Code of Conduct and fulfill his or her contractual financial obligations.


Total scholarship may not exceed total tuition. Students should contact Financial Aid Services for information regarding scholarship status if they are considering dropping hours.

Establishing Scholarships: To invest in students is a worthwhile work. Harding School of Theology invites supporters to establish scholarships through gifts and legacies or to contribute to scholarships already established.

Application for Scholarships: Scholarships are provided by individuals and congregations interested in assisting those who wish to prepare themselves for Christian service. Applications may be obtained from the school web site, Scholarships are normally awarded on the basis of academic record, need for financial assistance, and promise for usefulness in Christian service. Full-time students will be awarded more scholarship funding than part-time students. Scholarships are available to degree-seeking students only.

Scholarships are awarded annually only; therefore, students desiring such assistance must reapply each school year. Applications for the school year beginning in August should be made by March 1. Applications received after that date will be considered only as funds may be available.

Restrictions: Scholarship assistance will not be applied to charges for fees or for auditing courses. Government grants are not available to the graduate student.

Scholarships Available: A variety of resources provide funds for Harding School of Theology scholarships; for a list of scholarship endowments click here.


The Office of Financial Aid Services is the primary source of information about loans. Contact the office at Harding University, Box 12282, Searcy, AR 72149-5615. The telephone number is 501-279-4081. Email

Federal Direct Student Loan: The Federal Direct student loan program makes loans available to graduate students. Loans are electronically processed by the Financial Aid Services Office.

Repayment begins six months after the student ceases taking a half-time load of study. Graduate students are only awarded unsubsidized loans, which accrue interest while in school.

Graduate/Professional PLUS Loan: Graduate and professional degree students are eligible to borrow under the PLUS loan program up to the cost of attendance less other financial assistance. Applicants must be credit-worthy or apply with a credit-worthy endorser. Applicants are required to have applied for their annual loan maximum eligibility under the Federal Unsubsidized Direct loan program before applying for a Graduate/Professional PLUS Loan. Contact the Office of Financial Aid Services for additional information. Applications can be completed at


Harding School of Theology hopes that its students will be engaged in Christian ministry. Instruction and experience go together, each sharpening the other. Graduate students commonly serve as worship leaders, associate ministers, directors of educational programs, campus ministers, youth ministers, preachers, hospital chaplains, Bible School teachers in local churches, and apprentices in inner-city ministry. This service is helpful in their training program and beneficial to those they serve.

Many other work opportunities are available that are not directly church related. Both part time and full-time work are available for church-related or other types of employment. The School can assist the student interested in pursuing such arrangements. Naturally, each student must adjust his or her academic load according to outside work demands. We recommend that anyone working 20 hours per week enroll in no more than twelve hours.

Veterans Programs

Veterans, spouses, and dependents must apply for education benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), and once approved, forward a copy of their Certificate of Eligibility to the VA School Certifying Official (SCO). The SCO is located within the Office of the Registrar.

The following VA education benefits are approved for use at Harding University: Post 9/11 GI Bill® (including the Fry scholarship and Edith Nourse Rogers STEM scholarship), Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty (including Tuition Assistance Top Up), Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserves, and the Dependents Education Assistance program.

*GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Students utilizing the Post 9/11 GI Bill® are required by the VA to verify their enrollment monthly with the VA before their monthly housing stipend will be released by the VA. While the VA recommends using their text messaging system, other options include verifying through email or by calling the VA Education Call Center (888-442-4551). If the student misses verifying their monthly enrollment for two months, they will then be required to call the VA Education Call Center before their monthly stipends will be released.

Students working on any graduate level degree or graduate level coursework do not qualify for Yellow Ribbon funds at Harding University.

In accordance with the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018 (Section 103), students utilizing either Chapter 33: Post 9/11 GI Bill® or Chapter 31: Any covered individual will be able to attend or participate in the course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the individual provides to the educational institution a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under chapter 31 or 33 (a “certificate of eligibility” can also include a “Statement of Benefits” obtained from the Department of Veterans Affairs’ (VA) website - eBenefits, or a VAF 28-1905 form for chapter 31 authorization purposes) and ending on the earlier of the following dates:

  1. The date on which payment from VA is made to the institution.
  2. Ninety days after the date the institution certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the certificate of eligibility.

Harding University will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a covered individual borrow additional funds, on any covered individual because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement funding from VA under chapter 31 or 33.

Documentation required by Harding University before certification:

  1. Certificate of Eligibility or Statement of Benefits (Chapter 33: Post 9/11 GI Bill ®)
  2. VA Form 28-1905 or emailed approval from the student’s Case Manager (Chapter 31)
  3. Official email notice of enrollment to the SCO every semester until the student exhausts their benefits or they graduate.

Vocational Rehabilitation

If students are permanently disabled, they may receive free vocational counseling and financial assistance toward the cost of their college education, provided their vocational objective is approved by a rehabilitation counselor. Students should apply directly to the vocational rehabilitation counseling service of their state Department of Education.