Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

Skip to Main Content
    Harding University
  May 30, 2023
2014-2015 Undergraduate Catalog 
Catalog Navigation
2014-2015 Undergraduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Undergraduate Financial Information

Course Fees Financial Policies
Expenses Scholarships, Loans, Grants, etc.
Financial Aid Special Fees



Financing a college education is a concern shared by virtually all prospective students and their parents. The financial information contained in the following pages presents educational expenses in a realistic manner and suggests ways that you can meet them.

Harding University, a private institution without benefit of tax support, must meet its operating costs by income from student tuition and fees, government grants, auxiliary enterprises, gifts and endowment earnings. As tuition and fees are discussed in the following pages, you will discover that the cost of attending Harding is moderate compared to many colleges and universities of the same size and quality.

Admission Fees: Two fees should accompany the Application for Admission - a $50 application fee and a $130 housing/security deposit. These may be forwarded as one check or money order for $180 made payable to Harding University. The application fee is nonrefundable and is designed to cover the cost of application processing. The housing deposit will be used to reserve a room each semester and as a security deposit against damage. The housing/security deposit will be refunded for residence hall rooms if your reservation is canceled before May 1 for the fall semester, Oct. 1 for the spring semester, or April 15 for Summer Session. Commuting students should file only the $50 application fee. Married students applying for campus housing should file, in addition to the $50 application fee, a $130 apartment reservation deposit for a total of $180. The apartment reservation deposit for Harding Village Apartments is $200. The apartment reservation deposit is refundable if the reservation is canceled 30 days before occupancy date.

Typical Expenses: A typical resident student taking 15 hours per semester can meet all regular expenses of tuition, fees, room and food service for $22,536 for the school year. A non-boarding student can meet expenses of tuition and fees for $16,170. These expenses are illustrated in the following table:

                 Semester                Year  
Tuition (15 semester hours)   $8,280.00   $16,560.00  
*Technology/Academic Enrichment Fee    240.00   480.00  
Meals (210 meal block plus $200 declining balance)   1,613.00   3,226.00  
Residence Hall Rent    1,645.00   3,290.00  
Total basic cost for typical student   $11,778.00   $23,556.00  

*Technology/Academic Enrichment Fee: Each full-time student (10 or more hours) will pay a special fee of $240 per term as a Technology Academic Enrichment Fee. Students taking 9 credit hours or less will pay $24 per credit hour.

Food Service: Food service ranges from $529 to $1,840 per term, depending on the meal plan selected. For information regarding each plan and cost refer to

Married Student Housing: Married student housing is available. Contact the Office of Rental Properties at (501) 279-4367.

Scholarships (requirements described below) are provided by many generous donors. You may find a list of those scholarships, endowment and loan funds at

Course Fees                                                Top

  ACCT 416 
  AMST 252 
  ART 105 
  ART 200 , ART 205 , ART 220 , ART 235 , ART 240 , ART 243 , ART 251 , ART 255 , ART 260 , ART 265 
ART 303 , ART 311 , ART 312 , ART 340 , ART 345 , ART 349 , ART 350 , ART 365 

ART 400 , ART 401 , ART 450 , ART 451 , ART 452 , ART 475 

   BENG 370 
   BHIS 345 
   BIOL 121 , BIOL 122 
   BIOL 249 , BIOL 253 , BIOL 271 
   BIOL 311 , BIOL 352 , BIOL 357 
   BIOL 406 , BIOL 408 , BIOL 416 , BIOL 440 
   BMIN 327 
   BMIS 382 , BMIS 388 
   BMIS 481 
   BRS 100 , BRS 101 , BRS 102 
   BRS 302  
   BUS 301 
   CHEM 114 , CHEM 121 , CHEM 122 , CHEM 125 
   CHEM 216 , CHEM 249 , CHEM 250 , CHEM 261 
   CHEM 315 ,  , CHEM 327 
   CHEM 405 , CHEM 411 , CHEM 412 , CHEM 440 , CHEM 450 
   CJ 261 
   CJ 343 
   CJ 470 
   COMM 220 , COMM 253 
   COMM 340 
  COMO 102 
   CSD 215 , CSD 230 , CSD 250 
   CSD 385 , CSD 386 
   CSD 421 
   ECED 314 
   EDFD 200 , EDFD 202 
   EENG 220 , EENG 221 , EENG 240 
   EENG 320 
   EENG 420 
   ENGR 360 
   ENGR 420 , ENGR 421 , ENGR 445 , ENGR 489 , ENGR 490 
   ESL 099 
   EXSS 252 , EXSS 253 
   EXSS 352 , EXSS 354 , EXSS 367 
   EXSS 418 , EXSS 420 , EXSS 421 
   FCS 101 
   FCS 203 , FCS 252 , FCS 267 
   FCS 300 , FCS 301 , FCS 310 , FCS 322 , FCS 323 
   FCS 420 , FCS 424 
  GUI 100 , GUI 101 , GUI 102 , GUI 111 , GUI 112 
  GUI 302 
  HIST 251 
  HIST 461 
  HNRS 203 
  IDA 108 , IDA 117 
  IDA 203 , IDA 221 

IDA 350 , IDA 370 , IDA 371 , IDA 372 , IDA 374 

  IDA 476 , IDA 478 
  KINS 101 , KINS 125 , KINS 133 , KINS 134 , KINS 135 
  KINS 214 , KINS 215 
   KINS 355 , KINS 356 
   LMP 430 
   MATH 242 
   MATH 440 
   MENG 130 
   MENG 230 
   MENG 410 , MENG 420 
   MGT 430 , MGT 445 
   MLED 314 
   MUS 218 , MUS 273 
   MUS-half-hour private lesson per week - $333
   MUS-hour private lesson per week - $498
   MUS-piano rental (private piano/voice students) - $56
  NURS 100 
  NURS 203 , NURS 210 
  NURS 300 , NURS 315 , NURS 321 , NURS 344 , NURS 350 , NURS 351 , NURS 352 , NURS 362 
  NURS 413 , NURS 450 , NURS 452 , NURS 453 , NURS 454 , NURS 455 , NURS 462 
   PERC 100 , PERC 101 , PERC 102 
   PERC 302 
   PHS 110 , PHS 117 
   PHYS 201 , PHYS 202 , PHYS 211 , PHYS 212 
   PHYS 301 , PHYS 305 , PHYS 380 
   PHYS 415 
   PIA 100 , PIA 101 , PIA 102 , PIA 111 , PIA 112 
   PIA 211 , PIA 212 
   PIA 302 
   POLS 213 , POLS 450 , POLS 461 
   PSY 415 , PSY 440 
   RECR 210 
   RECR 350 
   SEED 314 
   SEED 419 , SEED 420 , SEED 423 , SEED 424 , SEED 425 , SEED 426 , SEED 427 , SEED 428 , SEED 429 , SEED 430 , SEED 480 , SEED 481 
   SOCS 350 
   SOCS 461 
   SPED 314 
   SPED 419 , SPED 481 
   STR 100 , STR 101 , STR 102 
   STR 302 
   SWK 452 
   THEA 101 , THEA 160 
   THEA 202 , THEA 245 , THEA 289 
   THEA 320 
   VOI 100 , VOI 101 , VOI 102 , VOI 111 
   VOI 302 
   WWND 100 , WWND 101 , WWND 102 
   WWND 302 

Special Fees                                      Top         

ACT Residual Exam $ 50.00  
Advanced Placement credit recording fee (per course)1 75.00  
Apostille 52.00  
Car sticker (nonrefundable) 29.00  
Career Services 13.00  
Certificate of Completion in Biblical Studies 30.00  
Change of examination fee (each) 10.00  
CLEP credit recording fee (per course)1 75.00  
CLEP national examination (per test; subject to change by College Board) 80.00  
CLEP test administrative fee (Harding student) 15.00  
CLEP test administrative fee (non-Harding student) 25.00  
Credential package (mailed or faxed) placement fee 10.00  
Credit by examination administrative fee 15.00  
Credit by examination recording fee (per credit hour)1 75.00  
Diploma re-print fee (undergraduate) 25.00  
Driver’s Education 211.00  
Drop and Add fee (each transaction) 10.00  
Exemption by examination recording fee (per course)1 75.00  
Exemption examination administrative fee (per course) 15.00  
Graduation fee (required of all graduates whether attending or not)  120.00  
Graduation re-processing fee  50.00  
International Baccalaureate credit recording fee (per course)1  75.00  
International Program fees and expenses2    
Late registration  50.00  
Post Office box rent (requirement in apartment housing) nonrefundable, each semester  27.00  
PRAXIS I and II (subject to change by ETS; varies by major) 170.00-350.00  
Schedule re-entry fee  100.00  
Technology fee ($24.00 per credit hour; maximum fee $240 per term)  240.00  
Test administration in Testing Office (per exam; Harding students)  15.00  
Test administration in Testing Office (per exam; non-Harding students)  25.00  
Transcript evaluation fee from unaccredited or international institutions (per course; maximum fee $200)  15.00  
Validation by examination administrative fee    15.00  
Validation by examination recording fee (per course)1  75.00  

1Maximum recording fee per transaction is $300.00. 

2These fees vary depending on the program location. E-mail for specific program costs. A fuel surcharge, imposed by the airlines, may be added. Typically, fuel surcharges range from $100-400. The fee will not exceed $500.

Summer Session Expenses: For financial information regarding Summer Session, contact the University Business Office.

Graduate School Expenses: For a summary of the tuition and fees for graduate students, see the appropriate graduate catalog. The same facilities and rates for room and board are available for graduate students as for undergraduates. Expenses for graduate students at the Harding School of Theology are published in the Catalog of the Harding School of Theology, 1000 Cherry Road, Memphis, TN 38117, at http://hst.edustudents/academic-catalog/.

Financial Policies                              Top

Financial Responsibility: Harding’s financial well-being is dependent upon prompt payment of accounts. For this reason, Harding transcripts and diplomas will not be released if a student has failed to take care of any indebtedness to the University. Exception is made for government loans if they are not past due. Failure to meet financial obligations to the University may result in the delinquent account being placed with a collection agency. Students are responsible for all attorney fees and other collection costs incurred by the University in collecting accounts. Term charges are not reduced for late enrollment. There will be a $30 service charge on all dishonored paper checks and a $35 service charge on all dishonored electronic checks or web payments.

Payment of Accounts: Payments may be made via electronic form, mail, or in person at the Business Office, located in the Administration Building. Payments may be in the form of cash, check, and money order in person or by mail. MasterCard, Discover, and American Express are accepted online, and electronic checks are accepted online via a third party vendor (CASHNET).  Credit card fees do apply.

Payment options:

  1. Pay the total balance by the due date on the first ebill statement. September 1 for fall term; February 1 for Spring term.
  2. Enroll in Harding University Payment Plan. Enrollment fee is $25 per term (fall and spring only). Deadline to enroll is the first day of classes. Pay the balance due in four monthly payments. A late fee of $35 will be assessed if a due date is not met. No interest will accrue on the Harding Payment Plan.
  3. Accounts not paid in full or not enrolled in the payment plan will be subject to a per annum interest charge compounded monthly. Interest charges are not reduced for delays in receiving financial aid.
  4. Any additional charges incurred during a term will be posted to the student’s account and should be paid by the due date on the statement. Examples include adding classes, traffic fines, library fines, adding declining balances, etc. Any credits posted to an account will appear on the monthly ebill statement. 

Students wishing to apply for financial aid must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Deadlines must be observed, and supporting documents may be required. Applications must be completed each year the student requests financial aid. Students must be sure to observe filing dates with a priority deadline of June 1 for the following school year. Students are notified periodically of documentation (if any) that is missing from their financial aid file through Pipeline and Harding email.

If prior term charges have not been paid in full, enrollment for a future term will be delayed until payment is received or satisfactory payment arrangements have been approved.

Refunds: Students are granted admission with the understanding that they are to remain for a full term. A student who enrolls in a class but does not attend or stops attending and does not officially withdraw may not receive a refund. An official withdrawal from the University begins in the Student Life Office. A refund of tuition will be made based on the following schedule. (Days indicated are days of the term, excluding Saturday and Sunday.)

        Day 1-5
Day 6-10
Day 11-15
Day 16-20
Day 21-25
Day 26-end of term
          100 percent refund of tuition
80 percent refund of tuition
60 percent refund of tuition
40 percent refund of tuition
20 percent refund of tuition
No refund of tuition


  Tuition Refund Plan: A protective insurance program provided by DEWAR Insurance Company is available and enrollment is voluntary. The policy will minimize the financial loss for students who suffer a serious illness or accident and have to leave the University. Application is processed online at

After a student withdraws from the University, room and board will be refunded on a pro rata basis. No refunds for board will be made for absences while enrolled in the University.

Appeals related to this refund schedule, complete with appropriate documentation, must be filed on the Tuition Refund Appeal form within one month of the date of withdrawal. Appeal forms are available in the Office of the Registrar.

If a student’s withdrawal is the result of misconduct, the institution is under no obligation to make any refunds.

Residence Hall Security Deposit: The security deposit will be kept as long as a student lives in University housing. When the student leaves University housing, the deposit will be applied to any unpaid balance on the student’s account or it will be refunded within 90 days. Credit Balance Refunds: Students may request a refund through Pipeline. No refunds are issued during the first week of classes.


Financial Aid                               Top

Financial aid is available to most Harding students in the form of scholarships, grants, loans, work-study programs, veterans’ programs and vocational rehabilitation programs.

These funds are administered wholly or in part by the Office of Financial Aid Services. Requests for information and assistance should be directed to Harding University, Box 12282, Searcy, AR 72149-2282; telephone (501) 279-4257 or 1-800-477-3243 (toll free); or e-mail

Requirements: Application for aid should be made as follows:

  1. Apply or be admitted to Harding University. Application forms are available from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
  2. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at
  3. Submit any follow-up documentation as required. Any incomplete requirements will be indicated in the student’s Pipeline account.

In most cases, to qualify for financial aid, a student must be enrolled for at least 6 hours each semester. Before enrolling for fewer than 12 hours, students should check with the Office of Financial Aid Services to determine what effect it will have on their financial assistance.

Financial aid awards are based on current federal and state regulations. To help meet students’ needs (as determined by the FAFSA), awards are made in the following order: grants, scholarships, loans and work-study. Students have the right to accept or decline any aid offered.

Financial aid funding limitations

Full-Tuition Limitation: The combined maximum award for all Harding-funded grants, scholarships, discounts or other assistance is limited to a student’s full-tuition charges. Should a student receive multiple Harding-funded awards in excess of full tuition, the awards will be reduced to actual tuition costs. NOTE: NCAA grant-in-aid athletic contracts and Harding-funded National Merit Scholarship Corporation awards are exempt from the full-tuition limitation.

Direct-Costs Limitation: Harding-funded academic-based scholarship assistance and discounts may be combined with state-funded or federal-funded academic awards (including the Arkansas Governor’s Distinguished Scholarship Program), not to exceed a student’s actual direct costs. Direct costs include full tuition, technology fees, standard (multi-occupancy) dorm and standard (210 meals per semester) board. The cost of books, activity or class fees, privileged housing supplemental charges, and the costs associated with maintaining or purchasing a computer are not considered direct costs. Should a student receive multiple academic awards in excess of direct costs, Harding-funded scholarships will be reduced until total scholarships/discounts do not exceed direct costs.

Financial Aid Budget Limitation: Aid in the form of need-based grants, scholarships, student loans, parent loans and work may be received in excess of direct costs, not to exceed a student’s financial aid budget. A financial aid budget includes all direct costs, as well as a reasonable allowance for books, transportation to and from school, and personal expenses. Please refer to the financial aid Web site for a listing of all financial aid budget components.

Return of Federal Aid Funds (Title IV): Students who receive Title IV financial aid (federal loans, federal grants, etc.) and withdraw, drop out, or are dismissed are subject to a calculation to determine the amount of federal aid that was “earned” and “unearned” for the semester. The earned aid is calculated by comparing the number of days completed against the total days in the semester (including weekends). For example, if a student completed 29 days of a regular 116 day semester, the student will be determined to have earned 25% of total aid eligibility. Once the student has completed at least 60% of the semester, all aid is considered earned.

If total federal aid disbursements are less than the amount earned by the student, the student or parent (in the case of a parent loan) will be eligible for a post-withdrawal disbursement. Borrowers eligible for a post-withdrawal disbursement will be notified of their eligibility within 45 days after beginning the withdrawal process and must respond to the aid offer within 14 days.

If total federal aid disbursements are greater than the amount earned by the student, the student will owe a balance to the University and/or the federal government. Unearned funds must be returned within 30 days in the following order:

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan
Federal Direct Subsidized Loan
Federal Perkins Loan
Federal PLUS Loan
Federal Pell Grant
Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
Other Title IV aid programs

Please refer to the Academic Information section of this catalog for detailed withdrawal procedures. Students that stop attending classes without withdrawing, as well as students that receive all failing grades, will be considered unofficially withdrawn. The withdrawal date for all unofficial withdrawals will be determined by the Student Life Office according to the last academic activity completed.

Financial Aid Probation and Suspension: Students who receive Title IV financial aid must make satisfactory progress toward a degree. Satisfactory progress includes maintaining the following grade point averages:

1.50   up to 30 semester hours  
1.75   31 up to 45 semester hours  
1.90   46 up to 60 semester hours  
2.00   61 or more semester hours  


In addition, students must successfully complete at least two-thirds (2/3) of the overall hours attempted cumulatively, and all students must complete all coursework within 150% of the published length of the program (even if the student changes majors, enrolls in remedial coursework, or did not receive federal aid for the entire period of enrollment). Students may repeat enrollment in any courses (either to pass a previously failed course or to simply earn a better grade) so long as all coursework is completed within the 150% maximum time frame permitted. All hours of enrollment after the free drop/add period are considered attempted hours. Earned hours include all courses for which the student has successfully completed with quality points assigned. (See the “Grades ” section of the catalog for additional information on Harding’s grading scale.)

Enrollment progress and grade point average monitoring occurs at the end of each fall, spring and summer term.

Failure to maintain the required grade point average or successfully complete degree work as specified will result in financial aid warning status. Warning status is removed at the end of the semester when the student has satisfied the grade point average and enrollment criteria. Failure to remove financial aid warning status at the end of said semester results in financial aid suspension.

Transfer students are automatically considered in financial aid warning status during their first semester of enrollment at Harding University. Transfer student financial aid warning status is removed at the end of the first semester if the student earns a satisfactory cumulative GPA and successfully completes at least two-thirds (2/3) of all hours attempted. Should a transfer student be admitted with fewer than 80% of attempted hours completed or with a GPA below the above listed standards, the student will be considered in financial aid suspension status during the first semester of enrollment.

Students on financial aid suspension are not eligible to receive Title IV financial aid. Financial aid suspension status caused by circumstances outside of the student’s control may be appealed in writing to the Director of Academic Advising in the Center for Student Success prior to the stated deadline. A suspension appeal packet can be downloaded on Pipeline. Contact or visit the Center for Student Success for additional information. Students approved by appeal are considered in financial aid probation and are generally only granted one additional semester of federal aid eligibility. Failure to make satisfactory progress while in financial aid probation results in financial aid suspension.


Scholarships                            Top

Ethics: Beyond academic requirements, in accepting financial aid students incur an ethical responsibility to observe the University Code of Conduct and fulfill contractual financial obligations.

Academic Scholarships: All full-time freshman students with a high school grade point average of 3.0 or higher and an ACT score of 22 or SAT combined critical reading and math score of 1020 will be considered for an academic scholarship. In cases where multiple scores are reported, the highest composite score will be considered.

All academic scholarships are for eight semesters of undergraduate tuition and are prorated if not enrolled full time. To retain the scholarship a student must maintain at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average.

Transfer students (students with 14 or more transferable hours) are not considered first time in college freshmen and are not considered for the previously mentioned scholarship. Instead, transfer students with a 2.5 or higher college GPA may be considered for a transfer student scholarship.

National Merit Scholarships: An unlimited number of scholarships are available to National Merit Scholarship finalists and semi-finalists. Finalists are awarded an eight semester scholarship which includes full undergraduate tuition, technology fee, standard dorm room and standard meal plan. Semi-finalists receive an eight undergraduate semester full tuition scholarship. To obtain this award, the finalist and semi-finalist must list Harding University as his or her first choice school with the National Merit Scholarship Corporation prior to their notification deadline.

To retain their scholarship, students must be full-time and maintain a 3.25 cumulative grade point average.

Trustee Scholar Awards: A select group of Trustee Scholar Awards (full undergraduate tuition for eight semesters) are awarded on a competitive basis to applicants who meet the qualification requirements and are selected. To be considered students must:

  • Have a 31 or higher ACT composite score or 1360 or higher SAT combined critical reading and math score;
  • Have a 3.5 high school grade point average or higher (based on 4.0);
  • Undergo a scholarship interview on campus;
  • Be a full-time residence hall student;
  • Possess leadership ability;
  • Have good moral character; and
  • Be a new Harding student with fewer than 14 transferable semester college hours, excluding dual enrollment, AP, CLEP and IB credit.

Students must already be admitted to Harding before interviewing. Winners are selected and notified by mid-April. If selected, student must accept the scholarship by May 1. To retain the scholarship, student must be a full-time residence hall student and maintain a 3.25 cumulative grade point average. If students are not selected, they receive automatically the academic scholarship commensurate with their ACT/SAT test scores and high school grade point average.

Departmental Scholarships: Several academic departments offer scholarships to their majors. Contact the appropriate department chair or dean for information.

Athletic Grants-in-Aid: Grants-in-aid are available in men’s and women’s athletics, according to rules of the NCAA. The maximum grant-in-aid covers tuition, fees, room, board, and a small allowance for books. Contact the head coach of each sport for information.

Endowed Scholarship Funds: Scholarship funds have been established by friends of the University in order to help students receive an education. When students apply for admission to Harding, they are considered for most scholarships for which funding is available. In many cases, these funds are used to pay for scholarships they already have been awarded. The primary endowed scholarship funds include the Harding Freshman Grant, the Harding President’s Endowed Scholarship program, and the Harding Stephens Scholarship program. Eligible students will be automatically awarded these funds.

To continue to receive all the scholarships described above, students must meet the academic standards of that scholarship and abide by the University’s code of conduct.

Scholarships may be subject to adjustment if a student drops below full-time status. Students who are considering dropping hours should contact Financial Aid Services for information regarding scholarship status.

Government Grants

Federal Pell Grants: All undergraduate students who are eligible for a Federal Pell Grant will automatically be awarded based on the FAFSA application. Award amounts vary, depending on the financial need of the student, not to exceed $5,750 per academic year.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants: FSEOG grants of up to $500 per year are available to students with exceptional need that are also eligible for the Federal Pell Grant.

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant: TEACH grants are available to benefit current and prospective teachers that agree to teach in high-need fields in a low-income serving school. Award amount is up to $4,000 per academic year.

Additional information on these and other federal grants can be found at Government grants are subject to change without notice. Residents of Arkansas, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Vermont may also apply for grants from their respective states.


Federal Direct Student Loan: The Federal Direct Student Loan program makes loans available to both undergraduate and graduate students. Loans are made through the U.S. Department of Education and are electronically processed by the Financial Aid Services Office.

Through this program students may borrow at an interest rate of no greater than 6.8 percent. Repayment does not begin until six months after students graduate or cease taking a half-time load of study. The government pays the interest while students are in school if they qualify for a subsidized loan based on need. Students who do not qualify on the basis of need are given unsubsidized loans and are responsible for the interest that accrues while in school.

Federal Perkins Loan: Students who show a financial need may be able to borrow through the federal Perkins loan program. Repayment begins nine months after they leave school and continues for no more than 10 years at an interest rate of 5 percent. Program funds are extremely limited.

Federal Nursing Student Loan: This program assists students who are pursuing degrees in nursing. Students must be accepted into the College of Nursing before applying for this loan.

Federal Parent (PLUS) Loan: Credit-worthy parents of dependent undergraduate students can obtain funds to pay remaining educational expenses through the parent PLUS program. The interest rate will not exceed 7.9%. Contact the Office of Financial Aid Services for additional information and application instructions.

Private Educational Loans: Borrowers with credit-worthy co-signers can obtain funds to pay remaining educational expenses through a variety of private educational loans. Additional information is available on the Financial Aid Services Web site.


Work on campus is a source of financial aid to students. Working an average of 10 hours per week, students can earn more than $2,000 per year. Many, of course, work fewer hours and earn less.

There are two work programs: The Work-Study program, funded by the federal government; and the Harding work program. To qualify for the federal program, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and demonstrate need.

Students approved for work on campus are eligible for work but are not guaranteed an assignment. Neither can Harding promise students will be able to earn the entire award for which they are eligible. After arriving on campus, those who have been approved for and have not obtained work should contact the Career Center for assistance in locating an assignment. Students are paid minimum wage on the federal Work-Study program and are switched to the Harding program when Work-Study funds are expended. The Harding program rate of pay is 85 percent of minimum wage.

Veterans Programs

Veterans must be certified for eligibility by their local VA offices and must contact the appropriate representative in the Office of the Registrar. Veterans of the post-Vietnam period must have made contributions into the educational program (Montgomery and Post 9/11 GI Bill) in order to receive benefits. An educational program is also available to certain members of the Reserves and National Guard. Widows and children of eligible veterans should contact the Office of Veterans Affairs to apply for assistance through educational benefits.

Disabled veterans entering under Public Law 16 should apply to their state Veterans Administration headquarters for counseling and approval, and then contact the Office of the Registrar.

In compliance with the Veterans Administration’s minimum standards of progress, if a student receives VA assistance, is placed on academic probation, and does not remove this probation within one semester, he or she will be suspended from receiving VA education benefits for the following semester.

Students using the benefits from the Post 9/11 GI Bill Yellow Ribbon program (YR) in conjunction with any other Harding funded scholarship, will have their Harding scholarship(s) reduced by the same amount of YR funds applied to their account.

Vocational Rehabilitation

Students who are permanently disabled may receive free vocational counseling and financial assistance toward the cost of their college education, provided their vocational objective is approved by a rehabilitation counselor. They should apply directly to the vocational rehabilitation counseling service of their state Department of Education.

Scholarship, Loan and Endowment Funds

Scholarships are provided by many generous donors. You may find a list of those scholarships, endowment and loan funds at

Not all scholarships listed have funds available; this list is compiled to honor the donors who have supported the University. Students applying for admission are automatically considered for most scholarships for which funds are still available. Information about new scholarships, scholarships requiring a separate application, and other sources of scholarship funds is available on the Office of Financial Aid Services’ Web site, located at, or by contacting the office at 501-279-4257.